Friday 11 June 2010

My Rock

It is a well known fact that parents of children with long term conditions end up getting divorced.
Statistics prove it. Am I surprised NO! There are so many battles to fight/win/compromise,that often it leaves you with little energy and time for each other. What really is sad: all we want is the best for our children /family.Is that to much to ask?

I suppose I have lived an interesting life, before I started a family I used to water ski and spent most of my life outdoors! The guys I used to ski with, were always laughing at me as my swim suit matched my ski and I was always putting lipstick on, in general I suppose I was high maintenance. Somethings will never change.

I had Isabella in 1998, which made my best friend laugh, she couldn't ever imagine me with children, she said"your car is always full of your stuff how will you fit a baby in".
Claudia was born in 2001. Sadly their father decided to leave, when Claudia was just 10 months old. At the time I was devastated, but now in the nicest possible way I am glad, as I met the love of my life Donald.

I had always known Donald, but we had never dated. I went out one Saturday night and Donald was in the Club I went to. That was the start of our relationship.It has been full of ups and downs but it has gone from strength to strength.

In 2003 and 2004 we lost 2 little boys mid-term through my pregnancies. This was a very dark time for us both, however it has given us both the strength to manage Claudia's and Isabella's conditions together. We both understand people grieve in different ways and that's ok. We did!

Darcy was born in 2005, difficult pregnancy, but she was born perfect, Felicity was born in 2006, she was 4 weeks early and she spent a week in the Neo-Natal unit.
We moved the day I left hospital with Felicity, mad I know, in our defence she was a month early.

I stopped working to stay at home with the children as 4 was quite a handful.We felt blessed that we had 4 beautiful daughters.

Donald won't mind me saying, he would have liked a little boy, so we decided to have 1 more.
In March 2008 we discovered I was expecting again, we were thrilled!!!
Then our lives were turned upside down, Claudia was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, then Coeliacs Disease, Isabella was then diagnosed with Coeliacs Disease.

How I got through the pregnancy I don't know, I do know that Donald was there through all of the tears, upset and smiles, he did the ironing, washing, cleaning etc, until I was able to get my act together. Even though he is not Claudia's biological father, he did her injections, he got up during the night, he was there in every way a father should be. Sadly Claudia's biological father, was unable to manage Claudia's condition(so many thoughts on that) and she hasn't seen him in over a year.

I am now on a mission to raise awareness and to have improved services for people with diabetes. Donald takes the day off work, when I go to London, he humours me when I am on a rant(many occasions)He has built websites, printed leaflets, listened to me to name a few of his lovable supporting qualities.

Times have been tough, but how lucky am I? I have 5 beautiful daughters and a husband who would do anything for me and the girls. I have made friends with an amazing group of people and learnt who my true friends are.

The only thing I ask for is: A cure for Diabetes, I do know if Donald could give me that he would.

I have written this blog for Donald, life is so busy and hectic, sometimes we don't get much time together. It is to say how much I love and appreciate everything that he does for the girls and I. If I could shout it from the roof tops I would.

I hope the next 10 years are a little more relaxed.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhh.... i love him too..!!!!(don`t worry donald i am as straight as they come lol x

    ReplyDelete