Saturday 10 July 2010

I Step forward 2 Steps Back.

One of Claudia's famous lines:
Well mummy you wouldn't like anything stuck in your bottom!

How we will laugh together when she is older.








It was set change this morning.
For anyone who hasn't got a pump this means: we have to change the cannula that allows the insulin to flow into the body. We are luck as Claudia's only needs to be changed every 72 hours which equates to every fourth morning.

We have had the pump since Early August 2009.
I remember the first time Claudia had a cannula put in: she went grey. That was the day I prayed she would choose daddy rather than mummy to do something. My prayers were answered.The month that followed was difficult on many occasions, due to our naff technique of putting the cannula in and Claudia, naturally being apprehensive.

Then things settled down as Claudia realised gone were the days of 4 injections and restricted meal times. The carefree days to a degree had come back. The days of seeing Claudia cry were well and truly gone, what a massive relief!! We were all a lot happier.

I am not saying that Claudia is always thrilled when it comes to having her cannula changed but she has a huge break in between, were she has a peaceful time and no prodding.

To be honest I can imagine Claudia aged 22 chasing herself round the bedroom before she finally plucks up the courage to insert the cannula. I can picture her picking up the phone and saying "mum can you come and put my cannula in?" "Of course I will!!" In fact Claudia has informed me she is never leaving home! Hmmmm will have to work on that one!!

I have realised that with children with Type 1 all have different traits:

a)The children who don't like injections, but then would never eat anything they shouldn't and know how to check and operate all their equipment. (Claudia)

b)The children who can cope with the injections but always sneak food.

c)The children, who don't cope with any aspect of their diabetes.

d)The children who cope well with everything.

e)The older children who skip their injections and don't test their blood glucose.

Over the recent weeks we have been having major problems with changing Claudia's cannula. Shouting, anger and point blank refusal to have it done. (that's just me) Why? I ask myself after so many months of things being on an even keel.

I suppose the honest answer and something I have to learn to accept is: there are going to be many occasions when we are going to go backwards as Claudia gets older and hits times of rebellion when she really wishes she didn't have to endure all the treatments and testing that Diabetes requires in order to lead a healthy life.

But how to you deal with these situation's. Do you take the no nonsense approach, the make them laugh, the persuasive approach, the bribe, the threat, the oh well please yourself.

This morning I took the no nonsense approach, it worked, but how rubbish did I feel afterwards!
This is the reality of being a parent with a child with Type 1, not only do you have to provide 24/7 care, but on many occasions you have to be "cruel to be kind" something that constantly prays on my mind, questioning myself if I have dealt with the situation in the best/right way.

Most times I just want to give her big hugs and cry with her sadly this seems to be the least effective way for Claudia.

Anyway on a lighter note, I am planning a strategy for the next cannula change, if it works I shall let you know. I have realised that being sly and cunning is a great skill when your opponent is Diabetes.


Oh to be as free as a bird again!
Life before Type 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment