Friday 27 January 2012

Coeliac Disease


I don't want to be different from my friends.












Coeliac Disease has got to be one of the most harsh diets for a child.


Often, when you have Type 1 Diabetes in the family. Coeliac Disease is over looked. By that I mean the effect on the girls emotions. Like Type 1 Diabetes, Coeliac Disease is an Autoimmune Disease and is a mystery to the average person.

Whilst Claudia (goody 2 shoes) has taken it in her stride. Isabella has found living with coeliac disease very challenging.She never wants to tell anyone or talk about it. Yes she is a teenager,oh the joys.

Whilst Claudia's coeliac screen is clear. Isabella's came back in the twenties ! Her bloods have thrown up other issues and these are currently being investigated.

I find myself wondering what went wrong, what did I do wrong? At this point I am not really sure.

What I am sure of is Isabella can't continue down the road of having a "gluten party" when we are not around. Now Bella is at High School and  more independent it's  difficult to track what she has eaten.

I have always been open  & honest with all the girls and in return they are fairly honest when questioned in true "parent style". So I had another chat with Isabella. I asked her if she understood what would happen if she ate gluten:

Malnutrition



Loss of calcium and bone density


Lactose intolerance


Cancer


Neurological complications
 
Poor Growth (in children)
(just a few of the delights it's associated with)
 
She answered yes mum, but the food is awful and I don't want to be different from my friends. At this point I had to stop myself from crying. I so understand how she feels. It is vital for children to "fit in & feel normal". On the other hand as a parent who loves her children dearly. I know that if the diet is not kept to the possible long term associated conditions are heartbreaking.
 
On Saturday we are both meeting a psychologist. She has come highly recommended. She works with teenagers. I am hoping that she will be able to support Isabella. I am also prepared to hear Isabella be honest and perhaps learn and accept that in Isabella's case I got it all wrong.
 
If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on how to get through to my lovely teenager. Please do post.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sending hugs your way! My son is 9 with diabetes/celiac. It is really, really tough! I hope your meeting this weekend will help. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have celiac, but I do have tons of food allergies. I cannot eat anything with soy, take a look at labels and you'll see soy is in everything. I cannot eat carrots, onions, cherries, red grapes... those are just a few of the items that cause havoc with my body. There are cookbooks out for people with celiacs, and in the US several grocery stores do carry items created for those who do have celiacs disease. So there is hope for people with both diabetes and celiacs. I just have to hope someone will come up with something for the millions of us who have soy allergies. Good luck to you and your daughters. As long as you don't treat your daughters as differently, they should be okay. My parents didn't and I survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celiac Therapy

    Kindly view:
    http://fix-celiacdisease.page.tl/

    ReplyDelete