Friday 10 September 2010


How many product's can a girl have!
Saturday 9th October 2010 is rapidly approaching.

I couldn't believe my luck, when I made a true friend in Donna (Eleanor's mum). Not only did we understand how each other felt, we both have children with Type 1 Diabetes. Even better she is as nutty as me. So when I suggested hosting an awareness event she jumped in both feet first.
It was a bit like Thelma & Louise but instead of driving off a cliff, we have driven head first in to the fascinating world of medical companies and have survived.

We took the plunge together and have never looked back. What started as a small idea has grown into a fabulous event.

Picture the scene, we began at the start of the summer holidays, madness itself as we have 8 girls between us. How on earth we have managed to get this far I will never know. At times I had to lock myself in the toilet, so the person on the other end of the phone couldn't hear my very vocal children.

In my excitement when people have agreed to attend I have fallen down the bottom stairs, dropped my iPhone(by accident) and forgotten to turn the oven on to cook dinner, to name a few ooops moments.

The reason we are hosting this event is: we truly believe that people who need and use Diabetes Products should have the opportunity to see what products are available and make their own informed choice.

It will be brilliant for the companies attending, they will get direct feedback from people who use Diabetes Products on a daily basis.

The message is: If you would like people with diabetes to self care and feel empowered, the medical companies need to have more direct contact and the medical profession need to respect that we are capable of making an informed choice.

There is nothing more frustrating than knowing their are product out there to help support Diabetes, yet we never get to even see them. I have heard people say" you may give people false hope" my answer is: We are all very aware of the Post Code Lottery!
Please join us for a fun, informative afternoon with people who understand each other. Together we have Diabetes Power.


2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog through Justice's Misbehaving Pancreas. I have a seven-year-old son with type 1 diabetes.

    I applaud your efforts! The awareness event is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi,

    Thank you, It's good to mett and chat to other mums, who have children with type 1.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete